I won’t be writing many reviews, most of them are of ARCs. My reviews do not have standard layout and will probably very messy, because sometimes I just want to list all the things I love and sometimes I don’t.
My Regular Rating Scale
My ratings will range from one star to five stars. I will also use half-stars if I think it is necessary.
★★★★★ This book was amazing, it is one of my favourites
★★★★ This book was great, I loved it and would recommend it to anyone
★★★ It’s a good book and I liked it but there is some improvement possible
★★ I didn’t like it and had trouble getting through it, I would not recommend it
★ The book was not good and I don’t want to finish it
Be aware this is my personal opinion and I don’t want to do anyone harm or make anyone feel bad about the books they read.
My Diversity Rating Scale
The importance of diversity in books has been talked about many times and it is often seen as something “extra” in a book, while it should (according to me and many others) be considered as normal. When a book is not diverse, it should be the exception, instead of the rule. Therefore I have thought of something to rate every book I read, to see how diverse I actually read.
I will rate all the books I read on 5 different criteria, and each book can gain a maximum of 1 point per criteria. Half points can be given if the book for example only partly takes place in a non-western setting or a character is not openly LGTB+.
The 5 criteria are:
- There is at least one POC (person of colour) / non-Caucasian (meaning: not white) character. Only main characters and important side characters count.
- There is at least one LGTBQIAP (lesbian/gay/trans/bi/queer/intersex/ace/pan) character. Only main characters and important side characters count.
- There is at least one character with a disability/disorder/disease, this can be either mental or physical. Examples of mental disabilities/disorders are OCD, anxiety, amnesia, PTSD, examples of physical disabilities/diseases are paralysis, missing limbs, skin diseases, cancer. Only main characters and important side characters count.
- There is at least one character from an ethnic, cultural or religious minority. Only main characters and important side characters count.
- The story takes place in a non-western setting. Only main characters and important side characters count.
Genres I read
I read mainly YA books (targeted to 15-25 year olds), but I have some sub-genres I love more than others.
|(Sub)-Genres I love
||(Sub)-Genres I don’t read (or barely)
Romance and High Fantasy are tricky books for me, I can either love them or hate them and there’s nothing in between it seems. I also read some adult fiction and classics.
Review requests are open, so contact me if you like, but be aware that I will decline if I don’t have time to read it or don’t think I would like it.